Wednesday 21 September 2016

mindpond


as those of you who have spent time in a class with me in recent years will know, I have a daily practice I call "mindpond". 

one of you even went so far as to suggest I write a book about it. I duly drafted a manuscript while on the train from El Paso to New Orleans earlier this year. 

but yesterday, flying down from Vancouver to San Francisco 

I decided against that. No point in pulping trees when I can publish it here. 

The practice is simple, and has its roots in a workshop I took in 2009, learning to throw porcelain on a wheel. it struck me that the process of coning and centering clay offered possibilities for someone (like me) whose brain often scampers off somewhere else when it should be concentrating on things that are closer. 

Here goes. 

Stand with your feet nicely apart (tadasana :: mountain pose - as I understand it, is good). 

Breathing in, raise your arms slowly in a wide arc until your hands meet above your head. Stretch your 'wings' as far as they can comfortably go. 

Lower your arms (still in an arc) while breathing out. 

Roll out your shoulders, let your arms go soft and your hands heavy, let them sink towards Mother Earth. 

Imagine a beautiful pond in your mind. Give it whatever surroundings you like. Take a lovely pebble and toss it in. Watch the splash, and watch the ripples spread. 

After a while, imagine the ripples coming in to the centre again. 

Take your time. 

Watch as the water in your pond becomes still and calm. 

Take a few good deep breaths, open your eyes again (I find mine tend to close during the practice) and step into the day. 

I begin and end each day with this practice, whether alone or in the company of a class. 

I offer it to you. 

10 comments:

  1. A lovely practice India. Thank you for sharing it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you. i remember this from longridge. i'm glad to be re-minded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you India, beautiful chigong............

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gentle practise just now & another before I retire for the night...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you India, a good reminder to be centred! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. I try to practice mindfulness daily, this will give me a deeper beginning to my day x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, India, a very fine start to go into a new day...

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfect way to find your centre before running with events of the day X

    ReplyDelete