Wednesday 10 August 2016

everything we need is here


For the first time in ages (a scant week in Aotearoa doesn't really count) I'm making a substantial journey that doesn't involve teaching; having come to Europe primarily in the role of carer for my Ma, who despite falling and cracking her hip four weeks ago decided she would rather come on the trip anyway than languish in a hospital bed.
I came away thinking I might knit or write in any spare time. 
Ha. 
The Dogs Above had other ideas. 
First I accidentally found a silk shirt at the thrift store. 
Then I was poking around a ruin and found a dyepot. 




I hadn't even brought string...so I made some.



There was a barbecue arrangement but no matches. So I purloined a glowing coal from a nearby sauna. It was that, or use the toaster. Don't ask. 


The twigs were all a bit damp. Happily I had some firewater with me (thank you Schlosshotel Kronberg!!) and a piece of linen rag. It proved an effective combination. 



I gathered some old friends from the roadside 


At first the brew (unusually) turned green. 



Rather an idyllic location, don't you think?


Holidays. Gotta love em. 

19 comments:

  1. i love you way you can find out everywere with anything to do a bundle enjoy the rest of your travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, curiosity never killed the cat in your case, how so many of you find silk clothing in thrift shops, never happens to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful and inspiring post, my friend. You are forever walking with 'eyes wide open' and I always learn so much from that. Happy Trails (and brilliant discoveries) ahead to both your ma & you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some very happy trails being followed thank you!

      Delete
  4. i do hope your mum is healing nicely, and i would expect it's hard to get away from "work" especially when work is play is work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work is life , so while I am breathing and upright......heh heh

      Delete
  5. Ever resourceful, hope your mother is managing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is very nice! Safe healing travels to you and your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i do so understand the beauty of the making however, extremely curious to see the results of said silk shirt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything we need is there...but only with eyes wide open as yours. Your mother is a happy woman with a daughter like you............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I count myself lucky to have her as a mother!!

      Delete
  9. If ever I was lost, I hope it would be with you....you have 'make do' DNA in your blood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your mother is enjoying as much as you are... and how fine it is to travel with the awareness that all you need is likely close at hand!

    ReplyDelete
  11. dearest india
    what a post. last summer when i was at haystack, my friend allie would say, everything we need is in this room. i think of that often, but your post is the bee's knees! happy dyeing. sending white healing light to your mum. xo

    ReplyDelete