Sunday, 18 August 2013

not leaving this river just yet

after teaching two classes back to back
i now have the pleasant prospect of spending a week doing my own work
and enjoying the felicity of being the inaugural studio resident
at Big Cat Textiles in Newburgh
once again i will be working within walking distance of a splendid river
the Tay : Scotland's largest, as it happens
and like the Mississippi at New Orleans
the Tay is tidal. i suspect i will be doing a bit of mudlarking shortly.
- i've already experimented with some mud stencilling on cloth -
+  +  +
if you feel like spending time here too
being [very] well fed in both body and spirit
you might consider signing up for Dorothy Caldwell's class in November
i believe there are a couple of spaces left
+  +  +
“Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”

Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It and Other Stories

8 comments:

  1. Big Hat sounds like a nifty spot. Glad for you and Big Hat Textiles for this residency week. Cheers! Well done. I'll raise a glass of spirits to you this evening while you're having a morning cup of coffee. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun. Looked up mudlarking, right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excited to see these mud stencils you speak of! how intriguing!

    India I was wondering if you could help - I need to start dyeing larger sections of cloth, say the size of a bed sheet. I am used to dyeing bits of cloth (c 1m squared) just over the kitchen stove in an old kitchen pot.

    What is the largest piece of cloth you have dyed, and how do you go about it? I though perhaps finding a jumbo sized industrial kitchen pot, or an old drum, and putting it on a portable outdoor stove if it doesn't fit on my kitchen stove? I had a look through your 'Eco Colour' book but couldn't see anything.

    If you have ANY tips I would be SO grateful!

    Thank you :) Soph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The longest piece I've dyed was 50metres. You'd be surprised just how little space that can take up!!

      Delete
  4. P.S - I had previously asked if you had any workshops planned for Australia anytime soon, and unfortunately you did not. But I am now heading over to the US in Feb 2014 for a month of travel, and I couldn't see any workshops planned for then in the US (in fact it looks like you will be back over on this side of the globe!) but thought I would check if;

    there are any workshops planned for the US Feb 2014?

    or if you have any must see textiles/art/anything place suggestions? I noticed that you have spent some time in New Orleans, and that is where I will be heading, along with other Southern states

    Cheers India! Soph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall be passing like ships in the night - I'm doing a presentation for the Fowler Musem in LA on Feb 22 and then heading to New Orleans to install my exhibition for a March 10 opening at NOCCA

      Delete
  5. Ooh, sounds like the perfect excuse I need to go to Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do.
      The place and the people here (at Big Cat Textiles) are good for the soul.

      Delete