Pages

▼

Thursday, 12 June 2008

r(eco)fashion in Canberra



it's been a while now since the last post. John Lennon's famous quote comes to mind 'life is what happens while you're making other plans'.

i was invited to Canberra to teach a workshop in reconstructed fashion over the long weekend in June. despite Australia's generally republican leanings most of us are still quite happy to take a holiday to mark Betty Windsor's birthday.
the workshop participants however worked diligently over the weekend to make 'new' garments from a collection of wardrobe discards.




these were then overdyed - mostly in baths of eucalyptus dyes. there were a few onion-skin pots as well, to dye those fibres that resist everything else! eucalyptus has the added benefit of sanitizing pre-loved clothes and imparting a refreshing scent to the fabric. we may have added to our carbon footprints by heating a few dyepots but overall there was an ecological benefit...as the
garments emerged, transformed from their baptism to enjoy a new lease of life

6 comments:

  1. Yohoho Miss India
    What a great workshop and what a bunch of lucky gals. I would love to do something like this with you and I am sure other Aotearoa women would get on board here abouts. Those colours are cool. I am so uninspired by myself, but love these workshops where I can grow confidence. You are a clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely colors. Glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colours are magical... what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. is it just me? i see faces in these beautiful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such amazing shades and colours that you get from these natural dyes. It must have been an interesting workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry I can't be of assistance with political asylum, Australia has a rather stringent approach..

    Robyn, try laying eucalyptus leaves gathered dry from beneath the tree (choose the dark ones) directly on the wood, dampened, with a heavy weight on top. you should get prints. also the dyes can be used to stain wood (boil them to concentrate first) and I often use a stain made from eucalyptus sap (kino) mixed with methylated spirits, for wood. E.Sideroxylon is particularly good for this

    ReplyDelete